AIA/CES Continuing Education Seminars
LATICRETE International Inc. is an International Passport Provider of AIA/CES programs. Our registered programs enable the design professional to keep current with technological developments and technical issues related to ceramic tile, stone finishes, concrete chemical technology, industry standards and floor coatings. The information provided creates a deeper level of understanding which serves to increase clarity of specifications, to prevent costly problems and disputes, and to assure durable and low- maintenance installations.
- Content based on current industry standards and challenges encountered in construction today
- An understanding of the many choices in uses, substrates and finishes — and how these choices affect installation systems requirements
- Information about how to avoid the most common and costly installation problems
- A preview of unique specification tools designed to streamline the specification process
AIA/CES Programs and Descriptions
The following is a complete list of programs that are registered and approved for presentations by AIA for our provider passport. Click on the links to view the course description for each.
- AIA-01 - Water as Design Medium - This seminar will discuss the design and specification issues to be considered when designing areas that will be subject to water exposure. The program will highlight the options for, Surface Preparation, Waterproofing, Setting Materials, and Grouts, including the benefits that are now available through new technology in this field. The course will review and emphasize the detailing necessary to obtain successful installations of tile and stone in wet areas, while comparing cost and labor impacts for the various systems presented.
- AIA-02 - Ceramic Tile and Stone Troubleshooting - This generic educational seminar will provide an overview of the most common tile and stone installation problems. This presentation provides information on the causes, corrections, and prevention of ceramic tile and stone installation failures.
- AIA-03 - Tile and Stone Installation Materials and Methods - This educational seminar is prepared to teach problem prevention by giving the design practitioner and/or
construction manager the practical information necessary to properly specify the correct tile for a specific situation and the job appropriate installation technique.
- AIA-04 - Direct Adhered Facade Systems - This educational seminar is prepared to teach problem prevention by giving the design practitioner and/or construction manager the practical information necessary to properly specify the correct tile for a specific situation and the job appropriate installation technique.
- AIA-05 - Designing Installations Using Marble and Granite - This educational seminar is prepared to teach the physical difference between marble and granite. The supply and
manufacture of stone to the market place and the proper substrates preparation.
- AIA-07 - Sustainability in Tile and Stone Installations - This generic educational seminar will provide architects and specifiers with information on how to specify and use tile and stone to promote a healthy building environment. Learn how ceramic tile and stone fits in with the green building movement. In addition, architects and specifiers
will also learn how to select and specify healthy installation materials for tile and stone.
- AIA-08 – Grout for Tile and Stone - This educational seminar will provide architects and specifiers with information on grout for tile and stone. Define the different styles of materials that are available for tile and stone installations. The most common problems that can occur and proper maintenance.
- AIA-09 - Surface Preparation - This educational seminar will provide architects and specifiers with information on proper surface preparation for tile and stone. Outline different acceptable substrates and define the minimum standards required for a successful tile and stone installation.
- AIA-12 – Restoring a concrete slab to baseline – Leveling and Resurfacing - This advanced seminar will discuss the major benefits to utilizing a low alkali cement self-leveling product to restore a slab to baseline. Overall design and specification will be discussed to aid the design professional in determining when floor leveling is necessary on new or existing slabs. What conditions dictate when you would need self-leveling or skim coat, and what systems do you specify to ensure your floor type is prepared correctly to receive various finished flooring materials. Further, the presentation will compare and contrast several methods of application for these cements including barrel-mixing and pumps.
- AIA-13 – Designing Installation Systems and Reduce Thickness Porcelain Tiles - This educational seminar will provide architects and specifiers with an introduction to the installation of Reduced Thickness Porcelain Panels. It will define Reduced Thickness Porcelain Panels and summarize their uses, explore design considerations regarding selections of proper installation systems, and outline the special tools required for proper handling and install. Attendees will gain an understanding of the unique manufacturing process, and how the product category contributes to green construction methods. Lots of photos of installations and practical applications are presented. Overall costs of each method will be discussed as well.
- AIA-14 - Polished Concrete Design for LEED and CHPS Projects - This seminar will discuss the advances in polishing equipment and techniques, for grinding concrete, whether
new or old, to a high-gloss finished floor that never needs waxes or coatings. Offering an in depth look at installation practices and materials, the attendee will walk away with a solid understanding of polished concrete flooring systems and their contributions to LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) and CHPS (Collaborative for High
- AIA-15 - Concrete Basics - Starting on the most basic level, this presentation covers the basics of the second most used material on earth next to water. Starting with the basics, this presentation proceeds to offer a view of some of the issues facing proper use of concrete. There is something for everyone from laymen to seasoned professionals in this presentation.
- AIA-16 - Concrete Problems and Solutions - Concrete is not without problems. This presentation will cover problems often seen and their root causes. Using pictures an speaking directly to the cause and effect relationships between issues and their causes. Seasoned industry professionals will walk away with added knowledge.
- AIA-17 - Misconception about Chemical Hardeners - Focusing on the purpose and benefits of using chemical hardeners, this program will demystify and explain chemicals hardeners function with concrete. Through breaking down each myth and presenting facts, the attendee will learn exactly what the densification process can add to concrete surfaces.
- AIA-19 - TCNA Handbook Updates for Architects - The Tile Council of North America (TCNA) is a trade association which takes a leadership role in promoting the use of ceramic tile and in developing North American and International industry standards. Ceramic tile, glass and stone constitute several of the most environmentally friendly and sustainable finish materials a specifier can utilize in today’s green building design. This practical CEU points is designed to assist Design Professionals on how to properly use the TCNA Handbook and how to properly specify tile, glass and stone installations.
- AIA-20 – Enhanced Performance Installation Systems for Thin Adhered Masonry Veneer - This CEU will focus on new installation methods, substrates and waterproofing options for thin Adhered Masonry Veneer (Thin Brick, Manufactured Stone and Thin Natural Stone) exterior façade finishes. Standards development and code compliance will be discussed. Legislation for improved energy efficiency and the effects on core and shell design will be presented. Attendees will gain an overall understanding of some of the new building envelope construction methods and will develop a better understanding of the influence of energy efficient design on construction trends.
- AIA-21 – Adhered Masonry Veneer Performance Installation Systems - This CEU will focus on new installation methods, substrates and waterproofing options for the “thin is in” Adhered
Masonry Veneer (Thin Brick, Manufactured Stone and Thin Natural Stone) exterior façade finishes. Standards development and code compliance will be discussed. Legislation for improved energy efficiency and the effects on core and shell design will be presented. A case study overview will be presented between materials used and costs for a traditional masonry construction
versus a thin adhered lightweight veneer structure. Attendees will gain an overall understanding of some of the new building envelope construction methods and will develop a better understanding of the influence of energy efficient design on construction trends.
- AIA-22 – Innovative Decorative Toppings - This program will teach you the secrets to using cementbased, creative chemistry to beat out the competition and maximize your profits. Learn how to install efficiently and profitably through proper project sequence planning and product selection. This course will also touch on how the green trend is affecting the specification of decorative concrete as a sustainable solution for green building.
- AIA-23 – Finishing Concrete With Self Leveling Cement - This seminar will discuss the design and specification issues to be considered when designing concrete slabs to receive interior floorcovering. This program will highlight the options for slab design utilizing self-leveling cements as a means to finish concrete in lieu of power troweling, including the benefits that are now available through new technology in this field. The course will review and emphasize the detailing necessary to obtain concrete tolerances for moisture and flatness, while comparing cost and labor impacts for the various systems presented.
- AIA-25 - Barrier Free Shower Design and Techniques - The tile industry has seen an increased requirement for barrier free shower systems. Barrier free shower systems
provide a wider range of versatility to the designer and the more common use of large format tile. The barrier free system allows for easier access into the shower system for
people with disabilities.
- AIA-26 - Specifying Polyaspartic Flooring Coatings for Sustainability - This course explores the very latest in high performance resinous flooring technology, Polyaspartics coating systems. Learn more about where Polyaspartics coatings should and should not be specified while understanding key differences between standard epoxy, urethane and MMA coating systems. Become educated on the sustainable benefits that Polyaspartics coatings have to offer.
- AIA-31 - Installing Tile in High Humidity, Heat and Floor Zones- This program will go over the challenges that high humidity, heat and flood zones can represent for a tile installation. Each
of these conditions can bring extra considerations to the installation methods, site preparations as well as the products being used for the installation. We will go each of these conditions individually and dig into industry recommendations and best practices to insure successful and long lasting tile installations.