At LATICRETE, we know you need to protect your joints.
Did You Know?
- Workers who spend a good deal of time in the kneeling position put 89% of their body weight on a small surface area. Prolonged kneeling can often lead to injury.
- Tasks that involve frequent stooping, kneeling, or squatting increase the risk of developing bursitis, tendinitis, or arthritis in the knee
Source: "Kneeling on Hard Surfaces Increases Risk of Injury" article by Industrial Safety & Hygiene News
- The Institute in Medicine estimates the economic burden of WMSDs as measured by compensation costs, lost wages, and lost productivity, are between $45 and $54 billion annually
- Knee pain affects approximately 25% of adults. The prevalence of knee pain has increased almost 65% over the past 20 years, accounting for nearly 4 million primary care visits annually.
- Knee pain is the second most common cause of chronic pain and chronic pain is the most common cause of long-term disability
- Certain occupations are associated with increased prevalence of arthritis, specifically osteoarthritis, most often of the knee and/or hip. These occupations include mining, construction, agriculture, and sectors of the service industry.
- Common features of these occupations are physically demanding/heavy labor tasks, lifting or carrying heavy loads, exposure to vibration, high risk of joint or tissue injury, and prolonged periods of working in awkward or unnatural postures such as kneeling and crawling
Source: "Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders & Ergonomics" article by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Raise the work off the ground
- Add an extension on your tool so you can work at waist height instead of kneeling
- During kneeling work, take frequent micro breaks of 10-20 seconds to extend your leg and allow the knee to return to resting position
- Sustained walking and standing on hard surfaces can transmit shocks through the leg to the knees - relief starts with investing in great work boots or shoes with arch support which help to strengthen the muscles of your foot
- Select quality footwear and insoles and use anti-fatigue mats to help reduce stress on your knees
- Stretch and strengthen leg muscles
- Manufacturers are formulating lighter weight products, use them!
- LATICRETE has many lightweight and rapid curing products that reduce installation times, are less repetitive heavy bag lifting and less stress and time on your knees
Construction Solutions helps you determine the best way to choose PPE to help avoid knee injuries.
- Knee pads are personal protective equipment used to relieve the pressure on the knee joints that result from kneeling on hard surfaces
- Knee guards with a built-in seat is an engineering control that may help reduce stress on the knees, shins, and ankles during kneeling
- Kneeling mats are used to relieve the pressure on the knee joints that result from kneeling on hard surfaces